Manage all Smithsonian.com social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr accounts with the goal of growing reach and engaging readers.
Management of the accounts includes responsibility for:
- Writing and scheduling daily editorial content.
- Pulling and analyzing reach and engagement data.
- Managing performance against audience development growth goals.
- Managing paid social media campaigns for Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Enterprise partners and advertisers, as necessary.
- Working with the Director of Audience Development, assess opportunities for and launch new social media accounts on existing and new platforms, including, but not limited to, new channels on Facebook, and SnapChat.
- Help research social media-related industry best practices; identify and recommend new tools and platforms.
- Program and schedule Smithsonian.com’s Daily Newsletter, and select additional content newsletters. Work with the Email Marketing Manager, to assess opportunities for and launch new targeted newsletters.
- Manage and develop new content partnership relationships with like-minded publishers and Smithsonian museum groups; curate content, develop and manage content and promotion exchanges and pitch Smithsonian.com stories to relevant outlets.
- Work with the Audience Development, Product and Editorial teams to develop new ideas for editorial and user-generated content offerings that will resonate with audiences on social media.
- Write and produce stories for Smithsonian.com, as necessary.
- Support additional Smithsonian Enterprise social media initiatives, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university and/or 2-5 years of related experience.
- Fluency in social media platforms, Adobe Photoshop, word processing and Excel applications.
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms.
- Strong written, verbal communications and inter-personal skills.
- Experience in managing social media for an editorial-driven organization.
- Strong analytical skills and experience working with online measurement tools.
- Ability to utilize standard web programming tools, such as HTML, PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, inDesign, as well as experience in the use of web-based content management systems.
- Excellent attention to detail, communication skill and a well-developed ability to turbo multi-task.
- Experience and talent working both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to be flexible during times of change, shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies and tools.
- Applicants, who wish to qualify based on education completed outside the United States, must be deemed equivalent to higher education programs of U.S. Institutions by an organization that specializes in the interpretation of foreign educational credentials. This documentation is the responsibility of the applicant and should be included as part of your application package.
To view the vacancy announcement please visit us at: http://si.edu/OHR/jobs_public
Please forward a resume, salary requirements and cover letter to: SECareers@si.edu and include the position title in the subject line. Application materials submitted without salary information will not be considered. Any false statement in your application may result in your application being rejected and may also result in termination after employment begins.
No phone calls please.
Final candidate selection will be contingent on the successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Selectee will be required to serve a one year probationary period and participate in Direct Deposit for salary payment.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."